Makerere University, School of Biomedical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, is looking to hire a Research Assistant with good qualitative research skills to work on the EDCPT-funded project CAGE-TB.
About the CAGE-TB project
The Cough Audio triaGE for TB (CAGE-TB) project aims to promote the adoption of mobile health-based cough audio triage testing for active pulmonary tuberculosis in health facilities in high-burden settings. It aims to generate and separately validate a cough audio classifier that meets World Health Organization (WHO) triage test target product profile sensitivity and specificity criteria, produce data on potential cost savings, and package the underlying technology into an easy-to-use smartphone app built using human-centered design ready-for-use in large-scale clinical evaluations. It will do so through:
- Collecting cough audio data in a discovery cohort of patients with a prolonged cough who present to primary care clinics in Kampala, and optimizing a classifier scheme;
- Validating the audio classifier algorithm in separate clinical validation cohorts in Kampala, Uganda, and calculating potential cost savings; and
- Using a human-centered design process to integrate the classifier into a smartphone application and identifying potential barriers and facilitators to its successful deployment
We have a job opening for a Research assistant to help develop exciting formative research on TB triage and diagnostic policies, practices and service delivery, and attitudes and experience with technology among health care providers in Kampala. The goal of this work was to generate implementation recommendations that would inform the mobile application design process
- Undertake desk research and document analysis;
- Mapping of facilities
- Conducting observation at the facilities
- Conducting interviews
- Transcription and coding
- Assist in data analysis
- Contribute to project team and meetings.
Minimum Qualifications and other Desirables for the Job
- Completed a Master in social science – sociology, anthropology, or a related discipline;
- Excellent skills in qualitative data collection, and analysis as exemplified in the master thesis or other research projects previously conducted;
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written;
- Strong communicative and interpersonal skills and a flexible and supportive attitude toward colleagues;
- Interest in, and previous experience with, the field of TB (or related fields) is a plus.
Terms and conditions
We offer a full-time position for a period of one year until 28 February 2024, with the possibility of a 6-month extension. Ideally, the starting date will be as soon as possible.
Do you recognize yourself in this job profile? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 16th March 2023 You can apply online or by sending the following to Ms. Joanitah Basemera: email email@example.com Indicate Research assistant TB-CAGE’ in the subject line.
- CV. Please mention the months (not just years) in your CV when referring to your education and work experience;
- Transcripts of all university courses taken and grades obtained;
- A cover letter that includes a brief statement of research interests and experience;
- Two references
Please combine all documents into a single PDF file and send it to Ms. Joanitah Basemera: firstname.lastname@example.org Applications must be submitted before 16th March 2023.